YES! The orientation is mandatory. As previously mentioned, you will be briefed on the do’s and don’ts of the tour the following morning. You will also learn more about the Greater Prairie Chicken and get a chance to talk to a representative from the Colorado Division of Wildlife. The other key factor to being there is that we will let you all know what time to be at the bus the next morning. This information cannot be given out ahead of time due to weather and the sunrise. Therefore if you do not show up, you will not be allowed on the bus the next morning. The only exception that can be made is if you contact the Wray Chamber ahead of time with a logical reason as to why you can’t be there.
It was decided to take out the hotel room so that we can give each Chamber member lodging establishment an equal chance to host our guests. Forcing people to one hotel was not being fair to the others. We also have an executive rental duplex and a bed and breakfast that can’t accommodate a full tour group…therefore not giving them a chance to host at all. We also decided to take the dinner out of the package because of the same reasons. This way it gives each restaurant a fair chance to serve our guests and also gives you the option to eat what you want.
We will go on the tour no matter the weather…unless it becomes too hazardous to drive out to the lek. In the tour history, we have only had to cancel 1 tour. So, the likelihood that a cancellation would happen is small…but if it does, we will let you know as far in advance as possible and you will receive a full refund.
Unfortunately, we do not offer refunds for these tours. If there is an extraordinary circumstance that prevents you from coming, you will need to contact the Wray Chamber and be able to offer proof of your reason. Otherwise we will be unable to offer a refund.
The following are Wray Chamber member lodging establishments. Call for more details!
|HideAway Inn, The||970-332-4634||wraythehideaway.com|
|Ellis House, The||303-898-0079|
|Doc's Bed & Breakfast||970-630-5459||docsbedandbreakfast.com|
|Cobblestone Inn and Suites||970-332-5000||www.staycobblestone.com/co/wray/|
|Sandhiller Restaurant, Hotel and Lounge||970-332-4134|
|Wray Hitch'N Post RV Park||970-332-3128|
The following are Wray Chamber member dining establishments.
Call for hours & for menu related questions.
|4th & Main Downtown Grille||970-332-3358|
|Meat Shoppe, The||970-332-9830|
|Wray Meat Packing Co||970-332-5538|
|Joe's Liquor Mart||970-332-9800|
|Canyon Coffee and Cafe||970-332-0632|
|LaLa's Bakery & Espresso Bar, LLC||970-332-5252||www.lalas-bakery.com|
1. Wear dark clothing. The birds behave better when they don’t notice you!
2. Bring warm clothing. We will take the trip no matter the weather, unless traveling is too dangerous. You will be sitting still for quite some time so as not to disturb the birds. Please understand that the cold can be extreme. We recommend ski-type clothing or coveralls. Gloves & hats are also recommended.
1. Please do not bring cell phones, watches, or anything that will make noise as it will disturb the birds.
2. Cameras are allowed…we just ask that you make sure they do not make any loud noises. A shutter noise is ok…but some cameras play music when you turn them off and on. Make sure to turn noises like that off prior to going on the tour.
3. You are allowed to bring a stand for your camera…but if you have a tri-pod you will be asked to not fully extend it. Room is VERY limited in the viewing trailer!
1. Once you are in the viewing trailer, you will be there for approximately 1 ½ to 2 hours. We will then head to breakfast!
2. Unfortunately, at this time, we do not have handicap accessibility.
3. The trailer is set up with three rows of benches. There will be seat cushions and blankets provided. You are welcome to bring extra blankets and extra cushions or a bench seat for added comfort.
4. Be advised that there are no bathrooms in the viewing trailer or anywhere close to the lek! We will recommend that you limit your liquid intake prior to the viewing tour. There are bathrooms at the breakfast site immediately following the viewing.